Download this guide for a collection of useful links and resources covering the broad range of sustainable living topics including basic survival first aid, food and self-sufficiency, childcare, tactical survival and more.
The Herbal Home Remedy Book by Joyce Wardwell, 1998
“Making Plant Medicine,” Fourth Edition by Richo Cech,
Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-Resistant Bacteria Paperback by Stephen Harrod Buhner, 2012, 2nd ed.
Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections by Stephen Harrod Buhner, 2013
The Survival Medicine Handbook, 3rd Edition, by Joseph Alton, M.D.
Some of the best herbs to grow or forage for medicinal purposes are:
- Purple-flowered oregano (origanum vulgare)
- Echinacea angustifolia
- Oats (for depression and adrenal fatigue; a 2-by-4-foot area will grow enough for a family for at least a year)
- John’s Wort
- Mallow (wild or marsh),
- Elder (elderberry)
- Tulsi (Indian basil or sacred basil)
- Lemon balm
- Rugosa rose, dog rose, wild rose
- Cayenne (It has to be over 90,000 heat units)
Although not cayenne peppers, these would also probably work:
- Fedcoseeds Hot Pepper
- Fedcoseeds Red Habanero
- Strictly Medicinal Seeds:
- Isatis/Woad is a broad-spectrum antiviral. Seed available at Pinetree Garden Seeds
- Licorice is a synergistic herb that is used whenever taking the other herbs because it helps them to work more effectively. Licorice is very difficult to grow, and it takes 4 years to get usable roots. But for those who’d like to try it, Strictly Medicinals and Richter’s carry seeds and plants.
To purchase bulk herbs for tincturing or teas
- Pacific Botanicals – Growers & Suppliers of High Quality Certified Organically Grown Herbs & Spices
- Mountain Maus Remedies | Bulk Herbs & Spices
- Mountain Rose Herbs
- Bulk Herbs, Organic Herbs, Spices, Bulk Tea & Essential Oils – Starwest Botanicals (starwest-botanicals.com)
- Herbs (herbies-herbs.com) Monteagle Herbs
- 1st Chinese Herbs – Bulk Herbs, Teas, Spices, Health Supplements
Food and Self-Sufficiency
Homesteading Family on YouTube
John McConnel’s blog (ThePeppyPrepper)
Seeds and Plants
- Saint Clare Seeds
- Fedco Seeds
- Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
- Pinetree Garden Seeds
- Nichol’s Garden Nursery
- The Urban Farmer
- Victory Seeds
- Adaptive Seeds
- Baker Creek Seeds
- Seed Treasures
- GrowVeg YouTube Video
- Gardening Know How.
- Gardening when It Counts, by Steve Solomon, 2006
- The Resilient Gardener, by Carol Deppe, 2010
- Seed to Seed, by Suzanne Ashworth, 2002
- Joy of Gardening, Dick Raymond, 1983
- Square Foot Gardening, Mel Bartolomew, 2018
Tools-All found at easydigging.com
- Easy Digging, I suggest the 6-inch grub hoe rather than the 4-inch
- Easy DiggingItalian Grape Hoe
- Metal files for keeping the tools sharp:
Cooking, Canning, Dehydrating and Storing
- The bottom-lit updraft stove that can burn twigs, pine needles, pine cones, etc., Silver fire – Review of the stove
- There is another stove called the EcoZoom Versa.Amazon
- Bread baked on top of a wood stove – YouTube
- Prepper’s Canning Guide, 2017
- Root Cellaring, by Mike and Nancy Bubel, 1991
- Ball Blue Book
- Growing and Canning Your Own Food, Jackie Clay, 2012
- Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning, by the gardeners and farmers of Terre Vivante, 2007
- Preserving food through fermentation, Holly Howe
- To order prepackaged, prepared food or bulk foods:
- Country Life Natural Foods Serves the Midwest.
- Emergency Essentials Ships the lower 48 USA.
- 4Patriots Ships throughout the USA and Canada.
What to do if you lose power and have 3 freezers full of meat:
- Have on hand multiple food-grade 5-gallon buckets with lids, as many as you think you will need and then add extras!
- Non-iodized salt (Redmond’s Earth Salt, or pickling salt, or any non-iodized food-grade salt that you can buy in 25- to 50-lb bags), more than you think you will need.
- Brine as much meat as you are able.
- For detailed directions, see “Back to Basics, How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills”, Readers Digest, 1981, p224
- If you have any means of cooking such as a propane canning stove (e.g. Simply Canning-Outdoor stove, OR Amazon-Outdoor propane canning stove) pressure-can as much meat as you are able.
- Build the smoker now and practice using it now. Luckybelly-21 Homemade Smoker Plans
- Give away any thawed meat that will otherwise go to waste.
- AskaPrepper -Potting meat-
- How to Brine Meat and the Science Behind it (Dry and wet Brining) – YouTube
- Historic Food Preservation – Potted Salmon – YouTube
- Potted Beef In The 18th Century – YouTube
- Preparing Salt Pork – 18th Century Cooking Series S1E5 – YouTub
Soaker pattern to place over diaper (born to love website)
Lanolin-rich soaker laundry soap