My introduction to cayenne pepper began in my first Homeopathy class. Mick was my instructor and she told the class about her carrying kit of remedies. She mentioned cayenne pepper and cayenne tincture and explained its uses; I was intrigued. Mick discovered the power of cayenne pepper through an herbalist friend. Her husband was chopping wood and the ax glanced off the wood and landed on his boot above the steel toe. The friend ran into the house to the spice cabinet. She put 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper into 8 oz of water and the rest of the powder she took outside to her husband. She had the husband drink the cayenne water and poured the cayenne pepper powder onto the wound until it stopped bleeding. This took 3-4 minutes. She bruised some comfrey leaves and wrapped them around the wound and bandaged it. The wound was checked every few hours by pulling back the comfrey leaves, but not disturbing the cayenne patch, to make sure there was no bleeding; the husband did not have a fever and his pain level was manageable. The next morning, she unbandaged the wound and pulled back the cayenne pepper and the wound looked good, no inflammation, no pus. After 4-5 days, the wound was healing nicely and barely left a scar. The cayenne helped with the pain as well as staunched the bleeding. Through her further studies, Mick discovered that cayenne also dissolved clots. Having a family history of heart disease, she carries the cayenne tincture in case she or someone she encounters is having a heart attack or stroke.
Noted herbalist Dr. John Christopher (1), N.D., and Dr. Richard Schulze, N.D have stated that cayenne pepper tea can stop a heart attack! The pepper must be at least 90,000 heat units. The hotter the pepper will mean more phytochemical properties and more medicinal effect. Capsaicin is the compound in hot peppers that makes your mouth burn. It is a catalyst which means it multiplies the strength of other herbs used with it. (2) Get the hottest peppers you can find – Habanero, Serrano, Cayenne.
According to these herbalists, put a teaspoon of cayenne powder into a cup of hot water, steep until cool enough to drink and give sips to the patient. In their experience, the heart attack would stop very quickly. Cayenne reduces the mucus in the venous system and immediately increases circulation.
Cayenne equalizes the blood pressure, feeds the cell structure of the venous system and reduces and normalizes the blood flow.
The major benefit of cayenne pepper is that it stops bleeding whether internally or externally, stops heart attacks, stroke or shock and dissolves clots. It will also revive an individual and help with dizziness, weakness and confusion.
According to Dr. Schulze (3), cayenne pepper is the number one first aid herb. If you are having any problem with blood—be it blood loss, disease, clots or even stoppage—cayenne is the herb of choice. Because cayenne has high amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, it also cleans and disinfects the wound. You can either make your own cayenne tincture (4) or purchase one. Dr. Schulze sells cayenne tincture on his site https://www.herbdoc.com/cayenne
Other Amazing Benefits of Cayenne (5)
- PAIN RELIEF – When taken orally or applied topically [recipe for homemade muscle rub (6)], capsaicin leads to the excitation of the nerve endings that transmit pain to the brain. Works as a great pain reliever for muscle soreness, itching from psoriasis, as well as nerve pain, bursitis, tendonitis, joint inflammation as with arthritis, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, and post-surgical nerve pain. Many people experience relief from migraine headaches through oral consumption or by directly applying cayenne pepper oil to the temples.
- COLDS AND SORE THROAT – Use as a gargle or tea mixed with
- ULCERS – Cayenne pepper, as contradictory as it may sound, has been used to prevent and treat The powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of capsaicin have been found to relieve symptoms associated with bacterial infections and stomach ulcerations.
- WEIGHT LOSS – Capsaicin, the active compound in cayenne is proven to increase metabolism and reduce food cravings! Cayenne heats the body up, so it burns calories bringing the body back to normal
- GUM DISEASE – Cayenne pepper eliminates gum disease by increasing circulation to the gums. (7)
- BOOSTS IMMUNITY – Cayenne pepper is a great source of Vitamins A, B Complex, C, E and K as well as potassium, calcium, manganese and (8) It helps the body remove toxins from the blood.
This article just skims the surface of the amazing health benefits offered by cayenne pepper; there are so many more. Any of my references will guide you to the many advantages of cayenne pepper. It’s an amazing herb that does more than just add spiciness to your chili.